We have heard people talking about this new show on Netflix called Stranger Things. We finally got a chance over Christmas break to binge watch the entire first season, and I am so glad we did. Now, I will warn you that the first episode is a tad slow. However, give it a chance. You won’t regret it. Stranger Things is the story of a young boy who vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl.
Here are my 10 reasons you need to watch Stranger Things:
- If you are a child of the 1980’s, you have to watch this. There are just so many things that will jog your memory of that time. The haircuts, the clothes, the landline phone — all things that you will enjoy seeing again.
- If you like Stephen King novels, you will like this series. It reads like a Stephen King novel. It’s equal parts real life mixed in with a bit of horror which makes a beyond believable story.
- Winona Ryder. She is absolutely amazing (though how is she old enough to be somebody’s mother? I can’t get over that.) She deserves an award for how good she is in Stranger Things. She lives through a mom’s worst nightmare.
- The soundtrack is amazing. Along with some new stuff, you will hear some old favorites like “Should I Stay or Should I Go”.
- It’s 8 episodes. You can binge watch this is one day. 🙂 The story is so good that you cannot stop watching this.
- There are so many 80’s movies that are referenced in Stranger Things. These are the ones we saw so far: ET, The Goonies, Stand By Me, Jaws, It, Evil Dead, The Thing, Poltergeist, Carrie, and Alien. I am sure we missed some (and we have watched the series more than once which helped me see some of these the 2nd time around).
- Everybody is in on the story. No matter how crazy it gets – the kids and the adults know what is going on. Well, the main characters do. This allows for some amazing scenes (one in particular that involves the school gym and a pool that made me cry).
- It is a show that celebrates the geeks.
- You won’t guess how it ends. I’m one of those annoying people who can guess a movie/show 5 minutes in. This one had me guessing for a ton of it.
- Eggo Waffles. Once you watch it, you’ll get this one. 🙂
Have you seen Stranger Things yet? Did you love it as much as we did? Why do you think people should watch it?