This is a guest post.
Most parents know from experience that family vacations can quickly become very expensive. Between airfare, car rentals, lodging and food for the entire family, the cost can often quickly outweigh any wonderful memories you had hoped to make. So, if you live in the Mountain West and are looking for an alternative to a jaunt far from home, consider a staycation or one-tank trip to help keep costs to a minimum while still creating the memories that will far outlast the bill.
• Las Vegas – Test your luck at the slots or take your family on a tour of the “Eiffel Tower” or another “international” attraction. From bountiful buffets to nightly productions by world-famous talents, families are sure to find enough to do to pack a short trip full of unforgettable fun.
• Lake Tahoe – Pamper yourself at one of Tahoe’s 18 picturesque resorts or ice skate on top of a snow-capped mountain. There’s always something to do at Lake Tahoe, one of the most beautiful sights in the “Silver State.”
•Sundance – A family-friendly resort just north of Provo that is set amongst the beauty of the mountains, Sundance has a plethora of children’s activities. You can also take an art class, snow tube or enjoy a night hike as a family.
•Utah State Parks – There are 42 state parks scattered throughout Utah that offer everything from hiking and fishing to boating and golfing and more. Simply pick the park closest to you and you’ll be there in no time.
• Sun Valley – Well-known for its award-winning skiing, Sun Valley is also quickly becoming a city celebrated for its art galleries, upscale dining and dynamic cultural scene. Whether you’re looking to hit the slopes or meander through streets of specialty shops and boutiques, you’re sure to find something that suits your tastes.
•Lake Lowell – As part of the Deer Flat National Wildlife Refuge, Lake Lowell is a serene escape that offers bird watching in a peaceful setting. Or, go fishing as you relax on the shores of the lake.
• Estes Park – Go biking, horseback riding, snowshoeing or rock climbing at Estes, which is part of Rocky Mountain National Park. You can also enjoy wine tasting as you meander through local vineyards, or relax at the spa as a family.
• Boulder – Recently rated one of the top 10 travel destinations in 2012 by Lonely Planet, you’ll have no lack of outdoor adventure in this award-winning city. From The Underwater Fish Observatory to the kite and toy shop Into the Wild, you and your kids will never be bored in Boulder.
Whether taking a vacation far away or a staycation closer to home, be sure you have the affordable car insurance you need to keep you and your family safe while traveling. Having the insurance coverage you need to protect your most valuable treasures will help you enjoy the ride as much as the destination.