My Novasure Ablation Story

If you have followed my blog for a while, you will know what my health issues have been over the last many years. If you haven’t, I’ll summarize what’s been going. I am writing about this, because I thought I was alone. Instead, there are tons of women with the same issue that I had, and we all live in silence, because we don’t know it! Plus, when I was Googling Novasure Ablations before my surgery, all I could find was horror stories. It has been 4 months, and I have had my last post-op follow-up, so it is time to write this post.

For those who need to be brought to speed —

Madison will by 9 years old in January. (Where does the time go?) After having Madison, I started having what I like to call the neverending period. We tried a birth control pill, it regulated my period, and life was good again.

What happened after Will is why I ended up with my Novasure ablation. After having Will, I ended up with basically a nine month period. Yes, seriously. Between my hormones being totally messed up and my constant lack of energy, I don’t know how I survived. It took about 10 birth control pill tries, and we found one that worked. Until this year.

This year brought many things. The return of the neverending period was one of them. Then, to make matters, worse I thought it was a good idea to stop taking my birth control since it wasn’t working anyway, and I thought it was messing up my weight loss. Well, I opened the floodgates with that decision.

Another visit to the OBGYN brought me another birth control that literally made me insane. Insane to the point that Bill asked me to quit taking it. That left me with two choices: suck it up or have an ablation. For those of you who don’t know what an ablation is, sit down. Are you sitting? Okay, basically what they do is stick a piece of mesh into you that covers your uterus. They then heat the mesh up and burn out the lining of your uterus. It is thought that my issues were stemming from an unstable uterine lining. We are done having kids, so this wasn’t too hard of a decision to make.

I did a lot of Googling of Novasure ablations. I read every. single. horror. story out there regarding ablations. I was terrified. I talked to my doctor who reassured me.

So how does this story end? I feel like I won Ladbrokes bingo online and got the million dollar jackpot. Having the Novasure ablation was the best thing I could have ever done. The hardest part of my recovery was the 3 days I forced myself to stay in bed after it! I had read online that you needed to take it easy, so I forced myself to do so. I even had Vicodin that I really didn’t need to take!

Since the end of July, I have had two spotting incidences. That’s it. It wasn’t even a lot either. I even got to see the picture of my nearly burned uterus. It was gross. LOL I was a textbook case of everything going right during my Novasure ablation (which never happens to me!).

I wanted to write this post, because I wanted to let other women out there know that you can have a great experience with this. Granted, I am only 4 month post-op, but I am very happy with my results!

Comments

1. montymanatee says

Oh my goodness, what a terrible condition. I've never heard of it. And to think I thought menstruating was bad enough!! I'm glad there was a happy result.

2. says

I have several friends who've had an ablation done, and it's been a miracle for all of them. I'm so glad that it's working out well for you and that you found a solution. I just wish you hadn't had to get there!

3. says

It is good to know that you are doing well now and have recovered well after the operation. It surely does feel like winning a great jackpot in the best bingo online site. Thankd for sharing your experience with us!

4. Sarah C says

Thanks for sharing your story! I’m in a similar situation as you were and my Dr approached me today with Novasure. Everything I’ve read is so scary! Have you experienced any weight gain from this? How was the pain during the procedure?
    Thanks so much for sharing!

Sarah

• says

No weight gain from this at all.

I was out for the procedure itself. We did it on a Friday, so I could recover over the weekend. Pain was bearable and I was back to my normal life by MOnday.

• wendy says

Hi there, i had novasure yesterday. ( june 23rd 2014 ). I was one who had terrible bleeding and cramps that were like labor pains!!!! I have a very high pain tolerance but THESE were out of control, periods were comming every 23 days and i would flood. Seemed i was living my life around my cycle….i had had ENOUGH! I talked to my dr….did the tests needed to make surw i was a good candidate, and here i am 1 day post op. Yesterday was ok, i woke up with pain like my cramps…the nurses managed pain VERY well. Once i got home i barely felt anything but was nauseated and threw up a lot. I called my dr. She ordered an anti nausea drug…i took 1 and it was miraculous…..i was fine….i ate and fell asleep with mo pain!!!! I didn’t even need a motrin. Didn’t wake up in the night and woke up thos morning with nothing more than a mild soreness ( i’ve felt worse with ovulation ). I am lightly bleeeding. No pain with urination nothing. I was expection all this horrible stuff because of the posts i’ve read….we will see how i progress… but this is how it has gone for me….i feel it’s been fairly easy. Hope this helps.

5. Pauline says

Well I was scheduled for this morning. I had read the literature and talked to two people that had it done. One is an RN in Labor and delivery. They had terrific results. So, I know it us a possible solution option. However, last night I had immediate and horrid cramps from the mistropol the initial 6p dose. Iwaited the 3 hours to onboard 800mg of Aleve. I have horrid cramps.. But never ever has the Aleve at 500mgs not controlled the cramps. So I googled mistropol, Novasure, problems … And got an eye full. I have 5-7 heavy days with usually a fist sized clot. Lysteda and Aleve help a lot. I thought this would be the magic bullet. Now reading the horror stories, I’ve cancelled. It was a holiday weekend but left a message on their answering service. I need more information. I’m going to be 45 and have never been pregnant. This is something you can’t reverse. I wish I had googled this prior to the mistropol. If I had my period for nine months straight. I would probably go for it. However, at this point I think it is overkill. I live near where Hologic is based. I wonder if this is pushed as a result. I think waiting for the ‘joys of menopause’ is going to be my answer. I’m mad at myself for not doing the research. However, I know I don’t have fibroids or any other issues beyond small polyps.

6. Alma says

Hi there, thanks for sharing your experience. I just had Novasure on 11/12/14 and was feeling apprehensive. There are tons of negative reviews and complaints about weight gain on line, however I’m assuming that when people feel great they move on and start fully living their lives. ;) so again.. thanks!