Let’s start with this question? Are you against bullying? If so, before you even read anything else, sign this petition!
[embedit snippet="Take Part"]
Okay, now that we have taken care of that let’s talk about bullying, because seriously, who is for it? The sad thing is that I see bullying occurring at both a kid level and even an adult level. I see it occur on Twitter and Facebook. Heck, you all saw the post I wrote a couple of days ago about how a trustee was rude and condensending (that could even be considered bullying!).
I truly luck out. I don’t think I was ever bullied and my kids haven’t been either. However, I have witnessed it occurred in my child’s class before. Childhood bullying can have a lifelong impact, leading to depression, anxiety, substance abuse and even suicide. But we have the power to prevent it, if we take action.
Some of my own tips:
1. Talk to your kids! Talk to your kids friends and their parents. You won’t know what’s going on without doing so! Communication is key here!
2. Talk to your kids about bullying so they know what it is.
3. Tell your kids what to do when they see bullying.
4. If your child is being bullied, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Tell the school what is going on. Most of the time, the school is going to want to work hand in hand with you. (And yes, I know there are some schools out there that this isn’t the case). If you have a school that isn’t working with you, be your child’s advocate. As my mom always tells me, if I don’t stick up for my kids, no one will. You are your child’s best advocate.
5. Do as you say. We are our children’s best teachers. Don’t model bullying behavior!
I’d love to hear some of your tips and please let me know if you signed the pledge!!