One of my kids favorite movies is How To Train Your Dragon. Heck, it is one of mine. That is why I was super excited to find out that How To Train Your Dragon Live Spectacular was coming to our area!
This summer How To Train Your Dragon Live Spectacular will be traveling the country. The tour will be produced by RZO Dragon Productions to deliver 23 dragons, some with wingspans of up to 46 feet, Viking warriors and world-class circus artists and acrobats, to perform against a state-of-the-art, wall-to-floor immersive projection measuring more than 20,000 square feet. Now seriously, tell me how that doesn’t sound like the coolest thing ever?
The North American tour launched for a one-week engagement in Wilkes-Barre, PA, on June 27th. The tour schedule can be found at www.dreamworksdragonslive.com with tickets on sale to the general public. Ticket prices range from a low of $24.50 to a high of $89.50, with an average ticket price of $58.00. A limited number of premium seats and special VIP ticket experiences and family packages are also available.
Here are a few fun facts (because seriously, who doesn’t like fun facts?):
THE MOST TECHNICALLY ADVANCED TOUR INTEGRATING ANIMATRONICS, PROJECTIONS, LIVE CAST AND NEW TECHNOLOGIES.
• Global Creatures & DreamWorks have partnered to bring the Academy-Award® nominated film to life with real flying, fire-breathing dragons.
• The production is four years in the making.
• The production has the largest number of animatronics ever to tour the globe.
• The Red Death Dragon is the largest animatronic ever built by Creature Technology Company at over 40 feet high and 60 feet wide.
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON LIVE SPECTACULAR IS THE LARGEST FAMILY TOUR EVER PRODUCED!
• Travels in over 30 18-Wheeler Trucks (52’ each) with a touring cast & crew of 85.
• Together the show weighs over 200,000 pounds.
• It would take one person over a year to load in the production.
• Takes over 160 people to set up the production in each city (the equivalent of one person working 24 hours over 70 days).
• If all the cables in the production were laid out end to end, they would stretch from Los Angeles to New York City.
DRAGONS TAKE TO THE SKY WITH GROUND-BREAKING TECHNOLOGY!
• The production created the first-ever touring flight track system that weighs over 28 tons.
• The flight track uses a proprietary barcode system. The creatures scan a barcode strip as they fly around the track which tells them (and us) where they are at all times.
• Toothless weighs over 7,500 pounds and flies over 1.2 miles throughout the performance which is equivalent to a Range Rover soaring through the arena.
• There are more automation cues in the opening sequence alone than a Broadway musical has in a night.
• The first-ever fully immersive live experience with projection spanning more than 20,000 square feet throughout the entire arena. The back projection wall is equivalent to 9 movie screens combined.
THE DRAGON FACTS & FIGURES.
• Produced over a two-year period in Melbourne, Australia
• 23 Dragons
• 12 Different Dragon Species Represented
• Dragon wings span up to 46ft
• Each large dragon weighs over 2.6 tons (the size of a family car)
• Over 2 miles of “Dragon Skin” was created
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON LIVE SPECTACULAR FOLLOWS ON THE HEELS OF THE HUGE SUCCESS OF WALKING WITH DINOSAURS!
• Before “Walking With Dinosaurs,” no free-roaming animatronics of this scale existed.
• Creature Technology Company has become a world leader in animatronic technology.
• “Walking With Dinosaurs” was #1 in Worldwide Ticket Sales in 2010, ahead of Bon Jovi, AC/ DC and Black Eyed Peas with over 6.5 million tickets sold worldwide to date.
Since I know you are dying to go, here is where this awesome show is playing:
6/27 – 7/1 Wilkes-Barre, PA Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza On Sale 5/11
7/4– 7/8 London, ON John Labatt Centre On Sale 5/12
7/11 – 7/15 Worcester, MA DCU Center On Sale 5/11
7/19 – 7/22 Washington, DC Verizon Center On Sale 5/11
7/26 – 7/29 Chicago, IL United Center On Sale 5/11
8/1 – 8/5 Uniondale, NY Nassau Coliseum On Sale TBD
8/8 – 8/12 Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre On Sale TBD
8/15 – 8/19 Montreal, QC Bell Centre On Sale TBD
8/22 – 8/26 Pittsburgh, PA CONSOL Energy Center On Sale TBD
9/5 – 9/9 Cleveland, OH Quicken Loans Arena On Sale TBD
9/12 – 9/16 Philadelphia, PA Wells Fargo Center On Sale TBD
9/19 – 9/23 Buffalo, NY First Niagara Center On Sale TBD
9/26– 9/30 East Rutherford, NJ IZOD Center On Sale TBD
10/3 – 10/7 Albany, NY Times Union Center On Sale TBD
10/10 – 10/14 Columbus, OH Jerome Schottenstein Center On Sale TBD
10/17 – 10/21 Detroit, MI Joe Louis Arena On Sale TBD
10/24 – 10/28 Milwaukee, WI Bradley Center On Sale TBD
10/31 – 11/4 Saskatoon, SK Credit Union Centre On Sale TBD
11/21 – 11/25 Winnipeg, MB MTS Centre On Sale TBD
11/29 – 12/2 Seattle, WA KeyArena at Seattle Center On Sale TBD
12/5 – 12/9 San Diego, CA Valley View Casino Center On Sale TBD
12/12 – 12/16 Oakland, CA Oracle Arena On Sale TBD
12/19 – 12/23 Fresno, CA Save Mart Center On Sale TBD
12/26 – 12/30 San Jose, CA HP Pavilion at San Jose On Sale TBD
1/2 – 1/6 Sacramento, CA Power Balance Pavilion On Sale TBD
1/9 – 1/13 Salt Lake City, UT Energy Solutions Arena On Sale TBD
1/16 – 1/20 Anaheim, CA Honda Center On Sale TBD
1/23 – 1/27 Bakersfield, CA Rabobank Arena On Sale TBD
1/30 – 2/3 Spokane, WA Spokane Arena On Sale TBD
Hope to see you there! There is a 25% off select seats to weekday shows offer (includes Friday nights) available for ALL shows nationwide with promo code MOM. Normally the box to enter is “Promotions and Special offers”, but it might vary slightly by market. This is on ticketmaster.com!