On January 1, more than 100 million Americans will make a New Year’s resolution, according to a University of Washington survey. By March, however, most resolution-makers will already have broken their newly minted promises.
In his new book, Achieve Anything (aff) in Just One Year: Be Inspired Daily to Live Your Dreams and Accomplish Your Goals (Amazing Life Press, $29.95, http://www.amazinglifepress.com/), Jason Harvey provides a blueprint for personal success that can make 2010 the year that resolutions become reality.
Most resolutions fail because people try to change too fast and accomplish too much all at once,” said Harvey, a Certified Life Coach. “My book is about learning how to make small daily changes and be your own personal life coach.”
The most common resolutions – to quit smoking, lose weight, exercise more, spend more quality time with family, etc. – are also the easiest to break. “The truth is, we set ourselves up to fail by making resolutions that are sweeping and unrealistic,” explained Harvey.
The resulting cycle of making and breaking promises is self-defeating – so how can individuals make resolutions stick? Achieve Anything (aff) in Just One Year equips readers with the tools to:
- Be truly committed.Don’t just go through the motions – act like you’re making a promise to your company, or to your best friend.
- Be specific. A resolution like “I want to lose weight” is easier to ignore than “I want to lose five pounds by March.”
- Set a deadline. A timeframe equals commitment and helps quantify success.
- Avoid overwhelming yourself. You may want to lose weight, quit smoking, achieve moderation with martinis and cut up your credit cards all at once, but let’s get real. Focus on a limited set of goals and plan on taking stock mid-year.
- Change one thing at a time. Recognize that change is hard. Wait to achieve one goal before starting on the next.
- Be realistic. Taking charge of a fitness regimen is a realistic goal, while exercising seven days a week may not be. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment with lofty goals.
The idea is to take daily action that creates a ripple effect in your life,” said Harvey. “By transforming your life with small steps, you can stay motivated, focused and balanced. Best of all, you’ll feel happier about pursuing your personal success.”
Achieve Anything in Just One Year is available to BUY NOW at Amazon.com.