The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free.
How do you want to make your laundry better? Use ENERGY STAR – better for your clothes, better for you and your family, better for the environment! ENERGY STAR certified clothes washers and dryers save energy, which means that you will save on energy bills. Many are also equipped with advanced features that make cleaning and drying easier and more effective. Did you know that ENERGY STAR certified clothes washers and dryers are 25% and 20% more efficient, respectively, than standard models? You can save $490 over the lifetime of an ENERGY STAR certified clothes washer and even more with an ENERGY STAR washer/dryer pair!
ENERGY STAR Washers:
Clothes washers that have earned the ENERGY STAR use 25% less energy and approximately 45% less water than standard models. A new ENERGY STAR certified clothes washer will save you about $45 a year on your utility bills compared to a standard model. Over the lifetime of the product, an ENERGY STAR certified clothes washer saves:
- 1,100 kWh and more than 2.5 million BTUs of natural gas,
- 33,000 gallons of water,
- $490 over the product’s lifetime.
If all clothes washers sold in the U.S. were ENERGY STAR certified, we would save more than $4 billion each year and prevent more than 19 billion pounds of carbon pollution annually. This is equal to the emissions from 1.7 million vehicles.
ENERGY STAR certified clothes washers also incorporate the following advanced features:
- Multiple configurations– ENERGY STAR certified clothes washers are available in either front-load or redesigned top-load configurations which include technology innovations that help save energy and water.
- Sophisticated wash systems– ENERGY STAR certified top-load machines clean your clothing just like standard models without wasting water to fill up the tub. Instead, these machines use sophisticated wash systems to cycle clothes through a mixture of water and detergent, allowing the clothes to be cleaned without using excess water or detergent.
- No central agitator– Front-load machines tumble clothes through a small amount of water instead of rubbing clothes against an agitator, while advanced top-load machines lift and tumble clothes through a reduced stream of water. Both designs dramatically reduce the amount of hot water and energy used in the wash cycle.
- High spin speeds– Efficient motors spin clothes two to three times faster to extract more water. Less moisture in the clothes means less time in the dryer and less energy spent drying clothes.
- Long live your clothes– Front-load and advanced top-load clothes washers’ sophisticated wash systems use a variety of methods to lift and tumble your laundry, lengthening the life of often-washed items. Additionally, because they are so gentle, many models can safely clean silk, wool and other hand-washables.
ENERGY STAR Dryers:
Clothes dryers that have earned the ENERGY STAR use approximately 20% less energy than standard models. If all clothes dryers sold in the U.S. were ENERGY STAR certified, the energy cost savings would grow to more than $1.5 billion each year and 22 billion pounds of annual carbon pollution would be prevented. This is equal to the emissions from 2 million vehicles. ENERGY STAR certified clothes dryers incorporate the following advanced features:
- Low Heat Setting– Longer drying cycles on a low heat setting use less energy. When you purchase an ENERGY STAR certified clothes dryer, look for the cycle that uses the least amount of energy, sometimes known as the “energy-saving” selection.
- Steam Cycles– Many ENERGY STAR dryers also include convenient features, such as a steam cycle that can help save time on ironing clothes by preventing wrinkles.
You can learn more on the Best Buy Blog. Will you be buying ENERGY STAR on your next washer and/or dryer purchase?