This post brought to you by CORT. The content and opinions expressed below are that of My Thoughts, Ideas, and Ramblings.
Before I was in 2nd grade, we moved 8 times. Even as I kid, I was a pro at packing and moving. We have moved several times now that I’m an adult, and I have a few tricks up my sleeve to help you with any move you may have coming up.
- Label your boxes with what room they need to go into. This helps all the people who help you move quit asking you where to put stuff. They just look at the box and know which room to put it into.
- Label on the box what is in it. Unless you can unpack your entire house in a day, this comes in super handy when you are looking for a spatula, your plates, or your shoes. There is nothing worse than opening 25 boxes in a room to find some clothes to wear.
- If this is just a temporary move, it may be worth looking into places like CORT Furniture Rental . This is especially true if you are moving cross country and don’t want to pay a moving company to haul all of your things. This also a great way to furnish an apartment for college if you don’t already own things like couches, chairs, bed etc. You can literally rent entire rooms (I want to know where this was when I got my first apartment! I could have totally used a service like this!)
- Don’t wait to the last minute. Start packing a box or more a day when you first find out you are moving.
- When you are done, let your kids play with the boxes! Moving is stressful enough. Ok, I’ll admit there may be some adult playfulness in making that arch, but we had fun. My point is that you can’t get completely stressed out. You have to take a break and realized there is an end to all the boxes that are surrounding you and your life will eventually go back to normal.
I would love to hear about your moving hacks? How did you make your move easier? Did you rent furniture? Did you do any of these tips?
I never moved at all while growing up, but once I was grown, I moved several times – once was clear across the country. I always labeled my boxes with what room they went in and what was inside. It’s so much easier to get items placed where they belong when you are organized. Great tips!
Jenn @ EngineerMommy says
I moved one year ago with two small kids. It was stressful, but I definitely learned a lot along the way. These are great hacks for moving!
Angelic Sinova says
Both my parents were in the Navy (although I was only raised by my mom) so we did a lot of moving around as a kid. Labeling boxes is a MUST for me. During my four years of college we had to drive all my belongs from Chicago to the east cost each year and my label maker become my best friend.
Renting furniture would be a great idea if you were on.y moving temporarily. It would be so much easier than carting all your furniture everywhere.
I recently moved and these hacks could have saved me a lot of headaches. I am going to share this with friends who are moving too so they don’t have to suffer! Super easy hacks for moving so that you can stay sane!
Liz Mays says
I like your advice. Moving and packing are things I usually dread. I really have to stop myself from waiting until the last minute!
I have moved a lot and for the most part I do the same things you do here. My favorite thing to do is to mark each side of the box with the tournament goes in so that you don’t have to try to find it when you’re carrying the box.
I do not like to move! I know I have to but its gets on my nerves packing everything up and un-packing. I do find it important to back early and to make sure everything is labeled.
Nancy L. says
Wow! It must have been difficult to move 8 times while growing up. We moved three times, but my Dad bought lots next to each other and we kept building and moving next store. Not quite the same thing as moving to different cities, states, etc. These are great tips and I’m bookmarking this for my girlfriend who will be moving soon!
We have moved three times in the past 10 years and I really appreciate all of these great tips. It really does help to start early and pack one or two boxes a day.
Mimi Green says
I love that you mentioned allowing the kids to play with the boxes. Any time a box enters our home my kids feel entitled to it. lol
What great hacks!!!! Labeling boxes is so important when moving. You don’t want something to break because whoever was moving it didn’t know it was a breakable’
Amanda Tempel says
I’ve only moved once, back when I was a pre-teen, but I remember it being super stressful. I can imagine that some of these would definitely be helpful to keep your sanity!
Michele d says
I’ve moved a few times and it’s so overwhelming with packing the boxes. You truly don’t know how much stuff you have until you move. It’s crazy! Great tips!
Christina Aliperti says
After my last move I swore I would never move again. these tips could have saved my sanity!
We just moved into a new house.. we had to donate some our furniture. I think renting is a good idea.
Jasmine Watts says
These are super easy hacks for moving. I moved 6 months ago and it was very stressful!!
“Just give it away” works only so much. Have seen friends home’s that were much cleaner doing so. I like 1 room at a time, pack next room. Easier for me. Last move for safety and was injured so very hard mentally still. Need pack my way and start over to feel like home!